Fast Set Tile Adhesive
Cemix® Fast Set tile adhesive is one part extra rapid setting premium grade grey. Flexible and for interior and exterior fixing of a wide range of tiles of all types, including large module porcelain and stone on both wall and floor substrates including totally immersed conditions and complies with C2TES1. Cemix® Fast Set tile adhesive is a one part, highly flexible, polymer engineered and cement based adhesive, with a rapid setting time of 2 hours. Recommended for high trafficked commercial areas when urgency of completed tile fixing is required. Also for use with internal/external wall and floor applications, including, bathrooms, toilets, laundries, kitchens, decks, verandas, plazas and existing tiles* plus totally immersed conditions such as swimming pools. Suitable over concrete, cement renders, screeds, fibrous cement sheeting, plasterboard and Cemix® waterproofing membranes. In conjunction with Cemix® Self Leveller, it can be used for under tile heating applications. When using with translucent tiles, the colour of the adhesive should be taken into consideration.
Typical Application / Uses:
- For use with internal/external wall and floor applications, including, bathrooms, toilets, laundries, kitchens, decks, verandas, plazas and existing tiles* plus totally immersed conditions such as swimming pools.
- Suitable over concrete, cement renders, screeds, fibrous cement sheeting, plasterboard and Cemix® waterproofing membranes.
- Suitable for natural stone
- Suitable for permanent immersion.
- Flexible formula
- Rapid setting with a “2 hour cure”
- Water resistant
- Fibre reinforced
5kg & 10kg
- The substrate should be free of dust, grease, wax, oil, dirt, loose plaster, laitance, curing compounds, paint and all other friable materials and contaminants likely to prevent the adhesive bonding.
- New concrete should be left with a wood float finish and sufficiently aged for a minimum of 7 days. Steel trowelled and/or shiny smooth surfaces on old concrete should be mechanically abraded or consider use of Cemix® Rocket Prime.
- Cemix® cement screeds/floor levellers /renders must be allowed to cure for a minimum of one day. All substrates should be structurally sound, securely fastened and properly supported to eliminate any movement which may cause cracking.
- Cemix® Rocket tile adhesive is suitable for tiling over timber floors, provided that a fibre cement sheet tile underlay is initially installed over the timber floor.
*Certain non-absorbent / impervious substrates i.e. tile over tile, metals, vinyls and the like should be primed using Cemix® Rocket Prime. For further information, contact the Cemix® Technical support.
Perform the substrate test:
No water absorbed: Mechanically prepare substrate or consider use of Cemix® Rocket Prime
Moderate water absorbed: Clean with damp sponge and water.
All water absorbed: Broom on liberal amounts of water.
This simple test is performed after vacuuming or sweeping a number of test areas and applying a single drop of fresh drinking water from the end of your finger. This should be approximately 20mm wide when it first hits the floor if it beads and remains whole then “No water is absorbed”. If it loses all gloss within 20 - 60 seconds then “Moderate water is absorbed”. If the gloss disappears instantly or within 20 seconds then the substrate has “All water absorbed”. Look for different surface appearance in your floor and test each to ensure your test is representative of the whole area. Perform test in both a cool shaded area and an exposed sunny area if tiling externally. Prime all substrates with Cemix® Rocket Prime (non – absorbent) or with Cemix® Cemlastic Primer and Additive. For further information, please contact the Cemix® Technical support.
Movement / Control Joints:
Movement joints must be incorporated at the design stage and in accordance with current AS 3958.1.
- Over movement joints in the background
- At a junction between different backgrounds materials
- At internal vertical corners and fixtures interrupting the tile surface e.g. columns
- Around the perimeter of the tiling area
- At a maximum of 4-5m intervals in a grid pattern. Consideration should be given to the provision of additional movement joints with large tiles 400 x400 plus and environment, i.e. 2.4m grid intervals when exposed to strong sunlight.
Note: Movement joints should go right through the tile adhesive bed to the background and be kept free from dirt and adhesive droppings. Movement joints must not be less than 6mm or greater than 10mm wide.
1.Add approx. 5L of clean water to a bucket for 20kg of Cemix® Fast Set.
2.Sprinkle powder slowly into the water, mixing constantly until a thick creamy toothpaste consistency is achieved with no lumps.
3.Allow to stand for 5 minutes and re mix and then the adhesive is ready to use.
Do not aerate the mix by stirring over vigorously or for too long. The mix should be stiff enough to keep its shape when spread with a notched trowel
All workmanship must be carried out in accordance with AS3958.1.
Spread the adhesive evenly with a 6mm X 6mm notched trowel for tiles up to 150mm X 150mm and for larger tiles use a 10mm X 10mm notched trowel. Lay the tiles with a good pressure, twisting to ensure good contact with the adhesive. In more demanding exterior situations i.e., heavy thick stone modules, tile-on-tile applications or if tiles with high ribs or lugs are being used, it is preferable to spread the backs of the tiles with a thin layer of adhesive in addition to the adhesive being trowelled onto the substrate, before laying. For wall tiling, a minimum final bed thickness between 3 - 5mm is recommended, whilst for floor tiling a minimum final bed thickness between 5 - 10mm is recommended.
Do not spread more than 1m2 of adhesive at any one time as skinning may occur affecting final adhesion. Ensure that the tiles are fully supported with the adhesive with no voids. Occasionally, in order to ensure that full coverage is being maintained, a tile should be removed, the adhesive coverage noted and the tile be re-laid accordingly. Once the tiles have been laid, they must not be trafficked upon or disturbed for a minimum of 2 - 3 hours at 20oC. Allow 48 hours before normal use.
Prior to grouting, remove excess adhesive from the tile face and between the tiles. Grouting may be undertaken after 2 - 3 hours after tile fixing. Allow grout to dry per grout manufacturers recommendations. Allow joint widths of 1.5 - 5mm for walls and 3 - 10mm for floors as per AS3958.1-2007. Thoroughly clean the surface of the tiles to remove all residue prior to the grout drying
Appearance – Grey Powder
Application Temp – 5 – 30oC
Yield / Coverage - Varies according to trowel size and substrate condition from approximately: 6 -8m2 per 20kg bag using a 6mm notched trowel and 4 - 5m2 per 20kg using a 10mm notched trowel.
Adjustment time at 18oC – 20 minutes
Pot life at 18oC – 40 minutes
Classification – C2TES1
Bulk Density – 1.3kg/L
The data shown above reflects typical results based on laboratory testing under controlled conditions. Reasonable variations may occur on site.
- Not suitable for tiling directly over flexible substrates, such as timber, plywood, particleboard, MDF and Masonite unless minimum 6mm thick fibre cement underlay sheet is securely fastened over timber, particleboard etc. and all as per AS3958.1-2007 deflection requirements.
- For tiling over alternative waterproofing membranes other than Cemix® waterproofing membranes contact Cemix® and the alternative waterproofing manufacturer.
- For tiling directly on to impervious non absorbent surfaces like metals and plastics, etc., use Cemix® Rocket Prime.
- Only to be used between 5ºC - 30ºC and avoid extreme windy locations.
- External tiling must not to exceed 2.7m in height
- Suspended concrete slabs must conform to AS3958.1 for maximum deflection. Any post-tensioned concrete slab must be treated as a flexible substrate.
Twelve (12) months - unopened bags in dry weatherproof storage.
Clean the tile faces with a damp sponge before the adhesive and grout sets. Clean tools with water before the adhesive dries.
Whilst Cemix® Fast Set is recommended for granite, marble and slate these natural products are made up from a large combination of chemicals and minerals. This may sometimes cause these products to react in a manner beyond our control. Agglomerates may also react in a similar manner. Therefore it is always recommended to trial such products prior to actual installation.